Re: [school-discuss] projects

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's in vain if you don't push your changes upstream,
unfortunately.  And that can be a pretty hefty effort either.

It may be in vain, but some of these changes are not the type of thing that would get accepted upstream.  I've sent patches that weren't so specialized to some projects and some projects just aren't open to accepting patches.  If the patches are generically useful, I send them back to the developers.  However, I have quite a few from defunct projects, projects that don't want patches and some that add very specific functionality that a general user won't want.  I am trying to minimize how to apply the patches, so they can be moved to future versions more easily if the application or library is still actively developed.

The most prominent boring people lurk in debian-legal@, IMHO :)

I should check that out.

> I'm not even sure which runtime library to use on Linux yet.
> I've been considering using lsb or musl.

If you'd like to avoid glibc for any of the reasons then musl
seems to be quite alive these days according to my coworker
in the system programming dept.

I've been monitoring the musl mailing list and they do seem to be quite active.  Seems like a nice library too.  However, keep wondering if I want something a little more stable.  I really don't like the "release early, release often" philosophy.  I'm trying to go with more stable applications for the collection, so I don't have to continually update lots of little pieces.  A once a year or two update (kind of like what Debian stable does) is often enough for me.  A stable runtime library would be helpful.  I'll have to do some further investigating on this.

The hard part is going to be to try to get this to work portably.  Most projects that work on Linux expect files to be in very specific locations.  For instance, musl looks for its loader at a hard-coded path location.  I'd like to be able to have the collection work straight off a flash drive or in someone's home directory without worrying about hard-coded path locations.  On the other hand, I don't know if I want to go as far as making everything build statically to avoid issues with libraries and paths.  I'm trying to investigate a middle ground.

Thanks to everyone who's sent comments and suggestions.  I intend to consider several options as I make design decisions on this.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmbld.htm