[school-discuss] Re: [K12OSN] Supporting Macs on a Linux server

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, David Bucknell wrote:

> "If you do use Linux, do  you use it in a Macintosh environment
and how do
> you find the Netatalk solution working on your network for older
boxes
> versus OS X? Do you use Red Hat or YellowDog or what ever
distribution?

I have been using netatalk in a production printing company (lots of
pre OS/X hosts used by the graphic artists in the Art Department)
for the last five years -- utterly reliable, no data loss.  I use a
Red Hat based setup base, and lots of my own variants of packages
from:   ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/local/ORC/

I am in process specing out rolling a WebDAV (sort of a browser
based CVS for people who are non-technical) for them with a Linux
backend.  Another part of the operation is
getting a local custom 'ltsp-ish' setup as a means to add seats on
acst off workstations without the capital and license tax costs.

> Do any of you find the NFS a good solution with Mac OS X or is it
still
> better for your school to still run an AppleTalk protocol versus
TCP/IP? "

Dunno -- have not tested an NFS approach on OS/X -- no compelling
reason to do so.

-- Russ Herrold