Re: [school-discuss] The end of Red Hat support

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 22:05, Chris Schwan wrote:
> And in related news, Redhat has this to say about Windows:
>

> Matthew Szulik, chief executive of Linux vendor Red Hat, said on Monday
> that although Linux is capable of exceeding expectations for corporate
> users, home users should stick with Windows: "I would say that for the
> consumer market place, Windows probably continues to be the right
> product line," he said. "I would argue that from the device-driver
> standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional functionality, for
> that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that (Linux) technology
> needs to mature a little bit more."
>

> I've had about enough bad news about Linux today :(

Nothing new. All he's saying is that they aren't about to start pushing
Linux into high street stores. Why? Because RedHat's business model is
not geared up to it and they have limited resources. He also wants to
signal to his potential big corporate customers that Windows is a
consumer rather than an enterprise product and if they want real
enterprise stuff they have it.

There is plenty of choice if you don't like Redhat. Just use another
distro.

--
ian <ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com>