Re: [school-discuss] EDU-Nix Dual Mode CD 2 / Distribution Solutions

Wonderful work...

I've been doing a comparison of edubuntu & edu-nix, & I'm partial to edu-nix -- it's quite a bit faster booted from CD-ROM (I remember playing w/ Slax & Stux last year & came away with a very favorable impression...). I'm also very partial to Vector SOHO not only for speed but b/c it plays nice w/ putting LILO on the partition instead of the MBR. I prefer to use GAG to boot-manage, not Grub or LILO, whose configuration vagueries can prove very annoying. (FWIW, all the aforementioned are Slackware variants as is Edu-nix (or is that EdUnix?). I've never tried Slackware, proper, but so far love it's progeny....

As for Debian variants.... I'm trying out Freespire, Studio-To-Go & Mandriva this week....

/lee

shane <shane@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

EDU-Nix Dual Mode CD 2 is now available, and as usual, FTP mirroring will lag
a few days behind the initial release. Anyhow, for starters only an HTTP
download is available, but I hope to have mirror support in place soon.

Which Brings Me To:

Over the past few days, the discussion has covered distribution solutions for
our varied projects, such as FTP hosting / mirroring and torrent seeding /
hosting /tracking. An interesting project that I found is at Ibiblio, called
Osprey http://osprey.ibiblio.org/, that seems to be an all-in-one solution.
I have contacted the admin, and am hoping to hear back shortly. I will
certainly pass on any information I can obtain.

Back to my shameless plug:

Version two of the EDU-Nix Open Source Schoolware Dual Mode CD is based upon
the Slax Live CD, and includes even more Free Software for Windows computers
than before.

The Live CD environment is feature-packed and includes Wine, Samba and the
TSClient for simple integration into your existing Windows network as well as
the Gimp-Print and Gutenprint drivers, providing compatibility with many
common printers.

The EDU-Nix Live CD Environment provides a fully functional desktop
environment that can seamlessly integrate into your existing computer
infrastructure, in addition to the Free Software for Windows also included on
the same disc.

A brief package listing is available here:
http://www.edu-nix.org/livecdtoo/softwarelist.php

Download here:
http://www.edu-nix.org/download/

Regards,