Re: [school-discuss] Up coming SAG meeting

On 5-Nov-06, at 11:48 AM, Richard Houston wrote:

Hi all,

A college and I will be doing a booth at a local SAG (special area group)
at one of the local technical collages. There will be about 250 teachers
which include computer teachers and others.

I am ask you all for advice on content that we can give out and maybe
idea on approach that will hopefully get a few more teachers interested
in FOSS in education. If anyone has any already done presentation and
other material that they would be willing to share we would appreciate
that as well.

I did a presentation a while back, but my focus also shared open publishing and open content (as well as FLOSS). Check out:

http://educationaltechnology.ca/couros/presentations/recent
Scroll down to "Introduction to FLOSSE: What’s GOOD and FREE in Educational Technology". I hope it's somewhat useful.

I'd also suggest two ISO's:
- Software for Starving students: http://softwarefor.org/ (features software for OS X and Windows)
- The OpenCD: http://theopencd.org/ (Windows)

Also, a couple of good sites that list free software:
- Open Source Windows: http://www.opensourcewindows.org/
- Open Source Mac: http://www.opensourcemac.org/

There are lots of educational apps here.

Although software CAN be the focus, I have found that, in my own workshops, teachers can really get excited by free services (web 2.0 apps) that can help them in the classroom.

Cheers.