Re: [school-discuss] Up coming SAG meeting

My $.02:

When it comes to FOSS for schools, I always stress that FOSS is
redistributable -, a common problem with full technology integration in the
curriculum is the inability to depend on students to have access to a
computer at all, and then do they have the latest MS Office to be able to
work on the files from school at home?  More than once I've had to explain why
MS Works at home wont play nice with MS Word 2003 files from school, and that
was the teachers - many of whom end up 'pirating' office, setting a poor
example at the least, and as OGA is about to go online - potentially a real
problem.

Another aspect of many FOSS projects is interoperability through adherence to
Open Standards, and often cross-platform compatibility, again ensuring that
the curriculum is as technologically inclusive as possible.

(My focus has been mostly K-6 "Primary" Schools)
What I have found, and am working on right now, is that many teachers want a
bit more of a turnkey solution in regards to software- specifically, I am
working with a couple of teachers to create sample lesson plans and projects
that implement programs such as Kalzium and Celestia.

Many teachers have been astounded when I demonstrate the Live CD Environment,
but more than one said - "but what do I do with it?"  Without an overview
from a teacher perspective, many teachers aren't technologically adventurous
and aren't inclined to figure out a program on their own and then derive
lessons using it.  I often joke that software should come with pre-made
post-its so that users can stick them around their monitors reminding them
how to do common tasks.

To a certain extent, you need to focus on the computer teachers and techies at
the schools and make them disciples - the ones who can show the folks around
them how to implement these programs.  Among others, I'd contact shipit from
(U|KU|EDU)buntu and ask them for a heaping helping of CDs, they are usually
excited to help a big event - and also the OpenCD (do they have a shipit?).
Above all, put the CDs in their hands, or under their windshield wipers, but
make them take them home - some of those seeds will take root, even if its
their kids that they give the CDs to.

Regards,
Shane

When/Where is the conference?