RE: [school-discuss] [Open Admin] SIF/XML tools for Data Transfer.

Can I return it as an OO.org doc? Makes commenting/modifying easier.

I like writing letters; that's manager for you...

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt R. Jezorek
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
Sent: 10/6/03 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] [Open Admin] SIF/XML tools for Data Transfer.

The letter to sun please correct it as I pretty much hate writing
letters :)

To whom it may concern:

In January 2002 EduStructures (http://www.edustructures.com) informed
the world that they had aquired the Sun Microsystems ZIS code JaZ and
J/SAL packages. It was informed to the public that Sun Microsystems
stipulated that the code remain open source and freely available. The
freely available code was hosted at opensif.org the OpenSIF project.

In more recent times EduStructures has forked the code you provided them
into trademarked closed source commercial software products. The
SIFWorks Platform. While this would be great and dandy during any other
time I would like to report the fact that they then closed the open
source project down claiming that their was not enough developer
support. Boasted that there was only 24 messages on the mailing list
during the year and downloads have went down. I will address each of
these issues to you now.

The lack of developer support may be true. However it is not the fault
of the open source community. If you look at the hoops you have to jump
thru to become a developer you will notice that not many open source
developers are willing to do that to submit a few patches. You had to
send a email to info@opensif.org and let them know what work you would
like to pursue, then wait for them to get back to you. After that if you
want to be a source contributor there was no public source code
repository. So you would everything had to be in the form of patches and
mailed to the owner of the file you are patching. This would be a big
headache if you patched multiple files over multiple owners. Then you
had to wait till it was merged into the tree by the owner.

This is not exactly a good way to do open source development and attract
developers to the project. I also feel this is why the developer support
was low. While I understand you cant give everyone write access to a CVS
tree you can always give read access so people can keep up. Watch for
conflicts etc. Also no open bug database so no one knew where to start.

The part about only 24 messages on the list during the year is true.
However they neglect to say what those messages are on the list. Most of
them are messages like the one below