Re: [school-discuss] Open-source alternatives

Sure,

I know about schools using Skolelinux (http://www.skolelinux.org) and
workstation shipped with installed Freeduc
(http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd)

But I am sure there are a lot of other solutions.

Regarding specific applications for education use, I suggest you to look
at Freeduc-cd, it will give you a good taste about what is 'useable'.
(it is a the specific objective of this cd)

Hilaire