Re: [school-discuss] $100.00 laptop ... another view

http://www.digitaldivide.net/blog/Taran/view?PostID=6667

KnowProSE.com

Negroponte: 'It's the Wikipedia equivalent (of hardware)': NOT.

Andy Carvin reports on Negroponte and his $100 laptop thing. I can sum
my response up in one word: Hype. From that, I can derive the phrase
trade subsidy. And from that, I can derive developing nations will
always be developing nations.

We wouldn't want to shake things up at all with open hardware. Oh no,
that would shift power structures. That's what's been holding back the
Simputer and similar initiatives. At the WSIS Latin America Caucus
regional meeting, someone dinged one of Negroponte's representatives
(why is his name more prominent than MIT's in these announcements?)
about why the Simputer wasn't looked at as a base. The response was that
they couldn't get one. Hmm.

I have one. I'm more resourceful than MIT. Imagine that. No, that's too
far fetched, so you start looking for the real answer. Why would they
not use it? Hmm. There's a point to ponder. I have an answer, of course.

September 28th, 2005 @ 6:46AM

APC Forum is a meeting place for the APC community - people and
institutions who are or have been involved in collaboration with
APC, and share the APC vision - a world in which all people have easy,
equal and affordable access to the creative potential of information and
communication technologies (ICTs) to improve their lives and create more
democratic and egalitarian societies.