Re: [school-discuss] Open source security is cool for schools

At 10:46 AM 10/4/2005, you wrote:
You know everything about it I know, Daniel. If you find out more, be sure to post it here.
Doug

OK, I found this nice Swiss report comparing software licenses for Authentication and Authorization Infrastructure packages that includes the Shibboleth license as well as GNU GPL and Lesser GPL.

www.switch.ch/aai/docs/AAI_Software_Licenses.pdf

The Shibboleth License, Version 1., Copyright (c) 2002
University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development, Inc., All rights reserved

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted
provided that the following conditions are met (then a list of inclusion of copyright info, not using the name Shibboleth on derivative work, etc.)

In contrast, from the OpenOffice license page: http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/lgpl_license.html

"Most GNU software, including some libraries, is covered by the ordinary GNU General Public License. This license, the GNU Lesser General Public License, applies to certain designated libraries, and is quite different from the ordinary General Public License. We use this license for certain libraries in order to permit linking those libraries into non-free programs.

When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using a shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a combined work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary General Public License therefore permits such linking only if the entire combination fits its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General Public License permits more lax criteria for linking other code with the library."

Regards,
Daniel