Re: [school-discuss] School's computer lab in local news

On Saturday 08 October 2005 02:34 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:35:47PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I just wanted to share a short video clip of our computer lab being
> > featured in a local news report (a special segment called "Sci Tech
> > Flash").
>
> Very nice!  I like the distributed compiling you're doing... great idea!
> What tools are you using to do it?  Does each PC simply get a different
> set of apps to 'emerge', and then they get copied amongst the systems,
> or are you using distributed compilation (e.g., distcc?), which I
> addmitedly know very little about. ;^)

I'm using distcc, which is very easy to implement with both 'emerge' and
'make'. I build binary packages on my computer in the back, and then use NFS
to give all the student workstations access to the binaries (they all are of
the same processor family). So, building the software is much faster (21
computers participate in the compiling on one 'control' computer), and then I
instruct the 20 student workstations to install the binaries (which is fast
and done in parallel).

Works great!