[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] reply to Kim re: diagram

Dear Kim et. all,

I think Kim made some really important points in his post. I also think that the diagram is a very good visualization on what is happening in the world of digitalization. Some comments.

Like Kim wrote there are standards for (1) social software and (2) standards for e-learning. Why different standards? We need different standards for different tasks. Just like we need standards for autobahn and standards for cycling roads. One size do not fit all.

So how are the standards of e-learning and social software? Are they standards for autobahns or for cycling roads?

We know that large part of e-learning technology is designed (1) for military (SCORM), (2) for corporate business processes and industrial production (IMS) and (3) educational institutions operating primary as a business (Blackboard, WebCT, etc.). If you want your solders, workers or students to be efficient pieces of your operations you do not want them to have social interaction, knowledge sharing, discourse etc. In the battle field there is no time for dialogue.

Standards for social software are designed for social interaction: to bring people and their ideas together, to have spaces for dialogue, argumentation, knowledge building and knowledge sharing.

I hope this helps you to choose the standards you want to follow and develop further.

Have a nice weekend!

    - Teemu

PS. And if you do not have better things to do you may find the Slashdot discussion about Blackboard and WebCT merge somehow delightful reading. Personally I really liked, for instance, the following "customer testimonial" in the Slashdot thread (there are many more in there). As you see we are not far of having a world where learning is a crime:

- - - - - - - - - clip - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous - My principle problem with blackboard isn't usability or UI issues (I agree it stinks but I can tolerate lousy UI). What grinds my gears is that Blackboard is used to EXCLUDE students from online course content! Maybe I'm old fashioned but I thought that the purpose of schools were to educate fools like me. Unless I'm registered for a class, I can't take a look at handouts or problem sets! How are we supposed to "try out" classes at the beginning of the quarter/semester/term? Not all of us can afford to register for 10-15 classes at the beginning of the term.

As a result, some of us have resorted to posting course materials on "p2p" networks and we are aware that members of the administration are actively looking for us (with the goal of expelling/arresting the perpetrators). Ironic that we have to do this stuff to try to learn.
- - - - - - - - - clip - - - - - - - - -

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/10/12/2053257.shtml?tid=187&tid=146

Kim Tucker kirjoitti 14.10.2005 kello 14:01:

Hi all, (reply to various)

>I see this Learning Technology Standards track as converging with the
>Social Sofware thread, what is your opinion?

If we regard learning as a social (constructionist) process which may be enhanced with technology, this convergence seems to make sense up to a point.

>My concern is how to introduce the important questions of "learning
>technology standards" in this discussion? If we want to create
>conditions and an economy for sharing, interoperate and re-use of free
>and open learning objects we need those standards.

Social software comes with standards of its own, often built on more general standards which preceded the term ( e.g. RSS, Atom, RDF, ...) and new proposals are emerging all the time (e.g. FOAF, XMP, ...).

If not existing already, in a quick reference form for people interested in learning technology, it might be useful to document the standards that may apply? Possibly just a table of names/ acronyms, a short description, and URL to the standard's home page? Perhaps a Wikipedia entry stemming from this page: http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-learning ?
In addition to the obvious (somewhat heavy) standards relating to education such as SCORM, IMS, etc. the table may include others of relevance/interest such as RSS, Atom, RDF, XMPP, XMP, DAML+OIL, FOAF, ....
Such documentation may enrich the discussion and be a useful reference.

However, there is a danger of getting "bogged down" in standards. An exciting technology enhanced, learning environment (e.g. in a classroom) can be created with a collection of Desktop tools (e.g. a web browser and editor such as Mozilla (or Firefox + NVU or eXe :-), the GIMP, and tools for rip/mix/burn ...), a cell phone maybe, ... (i.e. without all of these being integrated into a standards compliant LMS). Results may be shared via a URL, adapted and re-used where appropriate, with XHTML being the main standard of interest.

A feature I would like to see is one which assists educators and learners in "rip and mix" or "copy-paste" activities to manage correct use of the mixed resources - making it *very easy* to ensure that the content being used and created is released under an appropriate license. The choice to use only "free knowledge" might simplify things.

Kim

PS (just thinking)
Imagine a learning scenario in which a collection of learners collaborate to produce a multi-media collage to describe/explain a process (e.g. the water cycle in an ecosystem which includes natural and human built environments) - or better still, collectively make some management decisions. The supporting technology could provide facilities for: instant messaging, chat, internet (video or text) conferencing, p2p file sharing, search (e.g. semantic blog searches, of LORs, image, audio and video clip repositories, spatial resources (maps), audio, etc.), VoIP, rip/mix/ burn facilities, mind-mapping, etc.

Many standards apply in that last paragraph from TCP/IP to ontologies. There are communities behind these already. Learning requires access to all sorts of resources - including people, and it is arguably this interaction among people that really counts. What are the best practices?

PPS Fle3 was in mind when talking about technology enhanced learning environment (computer supported collaborative learning :-). In limited bandwidth environments typical of Africa, connections may go no further than the server in the lab. with snapshots of Wikipedia and other resources.

PPPS Regarding the diagram:

I don't know if there is consensus on the details of the diagram. I just like it as a map for speculating on the future of the web, with implications for the social/technology aspects of learning and knowledge sharing, etc..

>>>claude.martin@xxxxxxxxx 10/11/05 9:38 pm >>> Hi Tony and all,

thanks to Kim for the link and to Nova Spivack for the mindmapping graphic
This is great as a general representation of the situation

But since this "Social Software" thread started I'm feeling
unconfortable somewhere
Sure this category has a perfect place in "floss application in
education and training" this is evident...

My concern is how to introduce the important questions of "learning
technology standards" in this discussion? If we want to create
conditions and an economy for sharing, interoperate and re-use of free
and open learning objects we need those standards.

The IMS Learning Design specification
(http://www.imsglobal.org/learningdesign/index.html) allows the design
of "Units of Learning" including possible use of social software.
Until now tools available to implement standards as Reload Learning
Design Editor and Reload Learning Design Player
(http://www.reload.ac.uk/tools.html) are a first step to allow an easy
implementation, but it's still something "difficult".

A new generation of tools is emerging as our Wayne's famous eXe
(http://eduforge.org/projects/exe/), LAMS
(http://www.lamsfoundation.org/index.html) and Collage
(http://ulises.tel.uva.es/collage/) to make the implementation of
those standards easier to the users.

2005/10/11, Tony Bailetti <bailetti@xxxxxxxx>:

>Thanks a lot Kim.
>
>The diagram you sent is an interesting way to position social software.
>
>How strongly do people agree with the taxonomy illustrated in the diagram?
>Do you have a feel for the extent of agreement?
>
>Tony

-- Claude Martin 8 rue Bolivar 13200 Arles, France teléphone: 0033 (0)870 617 401 portable: 0033 (0)627 788 835

--

----------------------------------------------- Teemu Leinonen http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/ +358 50 351 6796 Media Lab http://mlab.uiah.fi University of Art and Design Helsinki -----------------------------------------------