Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

Alan,

You have eloquently stated this teacher's point of view.  I like your six
benefits.  I use Linux exclusively because of the cool stuff I can do with the
kids.  Already this morning I have seen students making personal scrapbooks
using the Gimp and Scribus, building a 3D model of a photograph in Blender.
This period students are writing html in gedit, connecting to my classroom
server and collaborating with each other in Pine, and researching subject
matter in Firefox, using Wikipedia.  After lunch, students will finish
their original percussion songs in Hydrogen.  Then they will collect photos to
compile a slide show with their percussion .wav file in the Gimp.  Will use
Kino for the finishing touches for their first music video.

I wrote the first part of this email during the school day - now it is evening.

To answer Jim and others, I would say that teachers would love having the choice
of every single useable OSS app available to them.  And then if you had
collaborative stuff on a server for them - that would be even better!  Why
can´t we have inter-classroom email and file sharing (monitor it for cheating)?
How about student newsgroups or discussion boards?

Teachers are all about having lots of stuff to help them teach.

The more stuff that system administrators can give teachers, the happier they
will be!!

Marilyn