Re: [school-discuss] Intel quad core vs AMD 6-core thin client server

Bart, you hit the main issue, and why I started looking at the 6 cores in the first place.   I'm sure that there is a CPU speed/architecture difference where a 6 core CPU with lower speed and less cache, etc. will perform worse than a 4 core at higher speed, but these two options were so close in all but number of cores and architecture that I wanted to make sure:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban 3.2GHz Six-Core Processor, L2 Cache: 6 x 512KB, L3 Cache: 6MB, ($266)
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz Quad-Core Processor, L2 Cache: 4 x 256KB, L3 Cache: 8MB ($295)

I'm planning on 8GB RAM, should be more than enough.  For high disk bandwidth, I'm still not clear on what would be best, especially with the new solid state drives, any additional thoughts there regarding SATA-II, SCSI, and Solid State?  Best, Daniel