From: mike eschman <meschman@engima.com>
To: School Forge <schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net>;
seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Sunday, September 01, 2002 7:06 AM
Subject: [school-discuss] virtual tour of 1930s Harlem--->
http://www.computer.org/cga/homepage/2002/n5/g5061.htm

Virtual Harlem is a learning environment that lets students experience
the
Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s and 1930s as a cultural field trip.

In the early 1900s, particularly in the 1920s, African-American
literature,
art, music, dance, and social commentary began to flourish in Harlem,
section of New York City. This African-American cultural movement
became
known as The New Negro Movement and later as the Harlem Renaissance.
The
Harlem Renaissance transformed African-American identity and history,
but it
also transformed American culture in general. Never before had so many
Americans read the thoughts of African-Americans and embraced their
African-American community's productions, expressions, and style.

We wanted to convey the importance of this movement to students. We
therefore
developed Virtual Harlem,1 a collaborative virtual reality (VR) tour
of
Harlem in which participants can travel back 80 years to see and hear
historical figures, speeches, and music from that period. We designed
it to
help students experience the neighborhood's life and culture on both
visual
and critical levels.