[school-discuss] New release of gcompris (4.0PRE1)

I just released gcompris 4.0PRE1, read the release notes online on:
http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/

The major change is that now gcompris includes assetml as it was
specified here:
http://freeduc.linuxtag.uni-kl.de/cps/Public/devel/assetml/

Now on the ofset download pages, I created assetml sections one global
and one for each locale.

The goal of assetml is to be abble to share our content between
educational project. So far, we have flags, voices for country name,
letters, numbers, colors and miscelaneous like congratulations.

These packages include an xml file that can be used to query the system
to find content by keywords. In gcompris, there is a libasssetml package
that includes a command line utility assetml-query that does this query.

I am glad to tell here that the project childsplay has adopted assetml
and already developped python tool to use it.
http://childsplay.sourceforge.net/

As for the C libraries, for now they are in gcompris download section
and are named gcompris-libassetml but are not at all dependant to
gcompris. One C developper could use gcompris-libassetml-devel to query
and use asseml resources without having to install gcompris.

Under development by StasZ from childsplay is a tool to help create an
assetml file directly from a directory structure including images and
sounds. This tool will be abble to create deb and rpm files directly.

I hope this little step will help us create faster better software for
kids all over the world.

Bruno.