[school-discuss] Microsoft initiatives...

There's another angle to this. When we sought to get even tiny discounts
from Microsoft in the late nineties, it was unwilling to offer anything.
Now it realises that Free Software (FLOSS) can be a real challenge to its
dominance, starting with education, it seems keen to beat down the
competition. It is perhaps not without significance that the offer is
being made to areas of the globe from which reports have come up of the
deployment of Free Software in education.

My view is that the alternatives have to be kept alive, and not just that,
also strengthened. A whole lot of things are happening globally, and the
best part of the Free Software story is that it is so easily sharable and
replicable. FN

> Message: 1
>    Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:47:09 -0500
>    From: "Daryl Martyris" <dmartyris@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Microsoft launches new tech training program for schoolsworldwide...
>
> I don't think this is so much of an issue with GSCP. We're primarily
> focussing on the 21 LTSP schools, then the 50 or so stand-alone Linux
> schools in that order...I doubt MS would be interested in these.
>
> Basically any MS program targetting disadvantaged schools in India
> would have to work through the state governments who are financing
> computers in schools these days. I don't see such an approach working
> easily.

Frederick Noronha (FN)        | http://www.fredericknoronha.net
Freelance Journalist          | http://www.bytesforall.org
http://goalinks.pitas.com     | http://joingoanet.shorturl.com
http://linuxinindia.pitas.com | http://www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks
T: 0091.832.2409490 or 2409783 M: 0 9822 122436