Re: [school-discuss] looking for tool that shows steps in solving algebra equations

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:53 -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Does anyone know of any open source tools that show step-by-step of
> simplifying and solving equations?
>
> I see commercial software called Algebrator. And I read (but didn't test)
> a java applet at algebrahelp.com.

The closest things I can find in the AppIndex are Spotter
<http://www.lightandmatter.com/spotter/spotter.html>, which just checks
answers for correctness, and LON-CAPA <http://www.lon-capa.org/>, which
I think would allow you to enter such procedures in a lesson but which
doesn't actually do the work itself.  If I can find anything else I'll
let you know.

--
Doug Loss              Unquestionably, there is progress.
drloss@xxxxxxxxxx      The average American pays out twice