[school-discuss] Blog Entry By Richard F. Crawley

Getting back to business. . . . I propose
as a subject for discussion an online article
which should definitely be on-topic for
this list, as indicated by its title:
"Public Schools, Open Source Software and
Linux." Here's the URL:

http://richardfcrawley.wordpress.com/2007/08/28/

To help get things rolling, I'm supplying the
two portions of the piece that were the most
eye-catching for me personally.

On FLOSS graphics tools:

"Open source software, while gaining ground,
is not ready to compete in the art world.
Granted there are artists able to do stunning
things with open source software. Where it
lacks is often in a well-designed UI and even
stability (Scribus, for example). Open source
will get there eventually."

On the too-slow pace of FLOSS adoption:

"Some of the blame also has to go to the open
source community for not undertaking an 'open
source' marketing campaign of the likes that
closed source software companies buy to push
their wares. Open source the marketing of open
source software and nothing will stop the
adoption of open source software and operating
systems. The open source community does get
things, but marketing is not one of its
strengths. Heck, we are geeks. Not slick,
flashy, geeky hucksters. I know you are all
thinking, 'except for me of course.'"

I don't entirely agree with either of the
excerpts I quoted, but I think that both of
them should be good conversation starters--
and, more importantly, they should encourage
you to read the entire essay and start talking.
I look forward to seeing the various responses
of the SchoolForgers.

Joel

Got a little couch potato?