Re: WINE, SoftWindows, and other proprietary software ports

> I don't want it if it costs $200. Although it is cheaper than
> NT it's not cheaper than Win95. -Jeff

That's fine, it's your decision.  While Windoze98 costs "only" $100, the
amount of money spent with other required crap is much higher.  When's the
last time you ran a heavily used machine more than a few months without
needing some tool that runs you another $100?  If you do, let me know and
I'll notify the Guinness ppl, they'll want to record that.

I am reminded of the blisteringly high cost of running Windoze by the
trials involved in simply upgrading my parent's machine from Netscape 3.04
to 4.05.  Since Windoze's multi-user "support" isn't good enough, Netscape
designed their own system, which doesn't do what I need.  To attempt to
solve that, I am now installing NT, and Netscape is still not cooperating,
so it may be several more days before I can get things working.  In the
meantime, I'm downloading 3.04 again.

I would *GLADLY* buy my parents a copy of it for $200-$300 if it cost that
much, just to be able to install Linux on the machine and LEAVE IT ALONE
and let it (and my parents) do actual work.

TTYL,
    Omega

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user