M$ .MDB type lib

Here's what Linux *really* needs......  a library to manipulate files in
a similar way to M$ Access.  .MDB files can store tables, queries,
reports, and a bunch of other junk.  Even better, the whole DB is self
contained into one file so is easily portable from computer to computer.

From my experience in the business world, people *like* Access and .MDB
files - they are used often in Visual Basic programs.

What Linux needs:

 * A shared library that can access database files (we can have our own
format, but if we can use .MDB so much the better).  I'd recommend C++
for this so we can use the cool STL for things.  Should be LGPL'd

 * A GTK application similar to Access that works with the files.  GPL'd

 * A Perl interface (of course...)

Perhaps we should set up a project for working on this???

--------

On another note, this weekend I started writing a dialog box editor for
Perl/TK and then I discovered that one already existed:
http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~kvale/specperl.html

If you're interested in doing Perl/Tk stuff (educational programs, etc),
this would be worth checking out.

--
Linux: Everything else is just a toy!
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/2359