Suggestions for Text Editor

I am having a look at some of the text editors (a la Notepad) for the base
system. One that looks promising to me is the textedit program that comes
with the openlook clients.

Disadvantages are that you need to load the xview pacakge and the
xview-clients that also provides olwm and such so you have to install a
lot of overhead to get the text editor. The only other useful tool
included is the cmdtool. Shelltool and calctool are rather useless.

So far, the only other candidates are axe and nedit.  nedit uses motif so
you are looking at a staticly linked binary.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a small X text editor for simple
editing of text files not requiring a week to learn?

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org