Re: The Kernel (fwd)

On 22 Jan 1998 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> Wonderful!  How do you do for reading your SCSI driver if / is in an
> SCSI disk?

How did you boot? The SCSI drivers are on a FLOPPY as kernel modules.  No
big secret here.  I have a SCSI system ... it managed to boot without
problems.  Do you have a particular SCSI controller that you could never
get linux installed on?

  Or are you going to load them from a floppy?  Debian and
> Caldera dpn't put the SCSI drivers on floppy only network and PCMCIA
> drivers.

Sheesh ...

> Because SCSI can be needed for booting you have only two choices:
> compiling them in the kernel or using initrd.  Debian compiles them in
> and that results in a big kernel slow to boot due to probing: it is
> difficult to live with.  So you recompile.  Do you think this a task
> for a SEUL user?
>
> The Debiabn kernel is not an example to follow for SEUL.

I disagree, the only alternative is the stupid Slackware method where you
have a dozen different boot disks depending on system hardware.  Can you
cite any actual examples of what you are talking about or are you playing
"What if"?  Debian does just fine with a single boot floppy.  Do you
intend to reduce that number?  Give it a break.  Instead of finding
fault, why not get busy helping?

Do you have any specific suggestions or any real instances where Debian
would not install?  If so, how did you get around it, was it a current
version of Debian, did you feed the problem back into the Debian project
so that it could be fixed? WHat boot disk would you suggest as an
alternative ... note, there can only be a single boot floppy.

I will also check but I DO believe that there are additional SCSI modules
on that floppy :)

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org