Re: dpkg not part of core?

George Bonser wrote:

<snipped all to hell> =)

George:

After you left chat I *thought* I figured out what he was talking
about.  I was taking a leak at the time and felt like a dummy for not
figuring it out when he kept saying installer.  The installation scripts
for the packages (ting - lightbulb).  I got back on and told him I
realized what he meant, but didn't think it would be possible to
eliminate the individual scripts.  Not!

He was talking about the installer not the installer. =)  The installer
on the installation disks.  The one that sets up the partitions, kernel,
modules etc.  So we were talking apples and oranges.  I was talking
about the day to day upgrade and install installer i.e. dselect.

Dselect isn't even used in the initial installation.  That's why I kept
getting thrown off.  He kept talking about something like deity or
dselect being a must in the core.

I was saying what you put in your email.  If you are making a standard
for all dist's you shouldn't attempt to make everyone conform to the
interface when the internals is all that needs to be standardized.  The
"users interface" to the installation process should be left to the
taste of the developers of the individual dis' although it should be a
wrapper/shell/interface for the standardized internals.

Now that I understand what he was actually talking about, I agree that
there should be a standard structure to the initial installer, not to
mention a unique name.  What do you think about calling them "system
installer" and "package installer" to eliminate confusion?

At any rate.  It would be a good idea to have a vanilla interface to
both installers available for those that build there own custom system.
But it shouldn't be a part of the standard core.  The internal process
and structure should be part of core with each dis' having their own
wrapper to interface with it.  Both installers, function-wise, need to
be in the core.  But the wrappers/shells/interfaces to them should
remain in dist-base-required.

L8R