Re: The Kernel (fwd)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> That is what I'm asking you about.  What do you intend on changing for
> release 0.1?  So far I've only heard you say that 0.1 will be "basically
> Debian 2.0".

I am speaking about 0.1  .... notice the 0 before the dot. It is not 1.0,
it is 0.1  This allows us to put a package together.  We move that to
stable (but not release!) and the UI folks come up with a desktop and we
decide on what we are going to use  .... great, we fold that into unstable
and bump the rev to 0.2.  Maybe we make some kernel changes ... fine.
That gets added in.  Maybe then we want to move 0.2 to stable and start
work on 0.3.

The alternative is to sit here bickering about every single package to
make 0.1 unique and either nothing happens or it is obsolete before we
release it.

> By the same token you can't take a Lincoln, re-paint it and call it a
> Geo.

No, but I can take a two-door Malibu that grandma is driving and make a
hell of a street terror out of it :)

> I think you need to write up an outline of changes to Debian that will
> make up SEUL 0.1.  I'm not talking about creating SEUL from scratch.
> But I don't think it's right to change all the copywrite info and call
> it SEUL.

THat is going to be about the extent of it for 0.1  ... 0.1 is the
STARTING point ... not output.  It is the basline, the raw lumber that we
are starting with.  0.1 is NOT SUPPOSED be representative of what we want
to make ... it is the unmolded clay that we are going to start working
FROM.  It is not a milestone, it is the starting line.

Heck, maybe I souldn't even change the wording, save that for 0,2.

Maybe I will make this a little clearer for you ... 0.1 is going to be
Debian 2.0.  If you want to make changes to Window Maker, for example, get
the Debian 2.0 window maker source package and debian diff, unpack the
source, apply the diff.  Make your changes, create a new diff and a new
.deb package and that becomes our package if your changes are adopted as
the SEUL package.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org