Re: The Distribution

George Bonser wrote:

I think we can assume these:

> What type of video card do you have?
> 3) Color SVGA
>
> Do you have a Multisync monitor?
> 3) What is multisync?

> mouse type, keyboard type, etc.

Mouse should be easily probeable.  Perhaps the first thing we should ask
is what language they speak:

  1.  I speak English
  2.  Hablo espan~ol
 ...etc...

and that would configure their keyboard, and load the appropriate
language texts.  We *will* be multinational, right???????

> This would dprovide the information needed to load a canned X installation
> that would not require the user to run xf86config. These would be an
> unaccellerated X server with fairly basic modes. The user will be told
> that they can add performance later.

Sounds good.

> Then, a GUI PPP configurator would launch and the internet access set up.

Nah, don't intimidate the user with that during the install.  Copy the
whole thing to the hard drive, then have a nice big button "Set up
Internet".

And another nice big button "Optimize video" to replace X drivers...

--
"win95 n. 32 bit extensions for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally