Re: Core

George wrote:
>A filesystem layout in accordance with the FHS.
>The Linux kernel. (We spcify versions according to Core version)
>kernel modules

Agreed.

>pppd
>net-tools
>GNU CC
>binutils
>make

Some mention has been made of putting these in the "networking layer"
and the "development layer".  While I agree with this idea, I have
my misgivings about farming such (potentially) key sections of the
core out to different layers, unless those layers are also part of the
core spec.

Let me explain:
 (1) I do not believe that development, networking, X, or so forth
     should be a mandatory part of the core.
 (2) I _do_, however, believe that _if_ an installation elects to
     include development support, networking support, or so on, it
     should do so in a standardized manner.

Do others agree?

>ld.so
>libc
>lic++
As noted by Omega, libg++, and libncurses are needed.  I have my
doubts about the necessity of libnewt and libslang.  I'm not to
familiar about newt, but ldd(1) tells me that only 4 binaries in
my /usr/bin need it, compared to the dozens that use ncurses.

If those binaries can be optional, would it make sense to make slang
optional as well?

>termcap
>procps
>procmisc
>gpm
>sysvinit
>util-linux
>kbd
>bash or sh

Is the option necessary?  Does any system elect to use sh instead of bash?

>tcsh or csh

Is the option necessary?  Does any system elect to use csh in lieu of tcsh?

>Support for ext2 and msdos filesystem types.

Agreed.

>A package management system.

I disagree.  Here's why:  the core exists for the sake of ensuring
compatability between different distributions.  Clearly, it is not
in our interest to require all distribs to use the same PM.  But if
all that require is that _some_ package management system exist,
I'm afraid I don't see how much compatability we've ensured.

I've got a project for tonight:  I'm going to go through my /bin, /sbin,
/etc, and /lib to look for more ideas for a core.

I'll post whatever I come up with later in the evening.
--
Nick