Re: Core

On 25 Jan 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Both Red Hat and Debian are making extensive use of newt and whiptail in
> configuration stuff.  You may also want to throw perl in there.

I notice that debian puts perl in their base and several installtion
scripts use it, mainly configurators for packages that run post install.

perl is a good candidate for inclusion.

> > Well, with the inclusion of alien, and support for the various packagers
> > (dpkg, rpm, posix; though preferable lib* rather than the binaries), we
> > can make *that* part of the core.  Or, we can make it a Layer.
>
> Make it a layer.

I agree.  There should probably be a package management layer.

> > Well, the decision has pretty much been made for is.  sh and csh are Unix
> > tools, bash and tcsh are free tools.  Guess which ones we use...? :-)

Right but I wanted to leave a method for a commercial system based on
Linux to include Bourne shell or C shell and still comply with core.

IF we allow that we must also state that any scripts that call
#! /bin/sh actually be sh compatable otherwise they should call /bin/bash.

In other words, if you are writing scripts and you are not positive that
it is portable to sh, you should use #! /bin/bash rather than expecting 1)
sh to be a link to bash and 2) your script to be run only on Linux
systems.

This should be common sense but I would like to see sh allowed instead of
bash but it is not a showstopper.

> I suggest that you require any POSIX shell rather than just bash.  That
> would allow people to use ash, which is much smaller and faster.

so we say

bash or sh or ash?

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org