Re: Core

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Micah Yoder wrote:

> There are an increasing number of apps written in Tcl/Tk.  And probably
> Perl/Tk for that matter.

Because you need X for perl/Tk or Tcl/Tk and X will not be in Core.

It WILL be in the SEUL distribution but X is a layer above the core.  The
Core is a core environment that a programmer can be assured will be on a
system ... such as a particular version of libc, particular version of the
kernel, other libs, etc.

We are speaking of Linux Core here, a set of things that ALL
configurations of all distributions of linux should contain as a bare
minimum, this includes text-only "headless" network servers (a mail server
for example).

> I'm starting to learn Perl/Tk now...writting a custom ticket selling
> application with it.  Perhaps after I'm done I'll turn it into a more
> general app, and it might actually give some people reason to use
> Linux!  :-)

Check out python/Tk as well, AWESOME!

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org