Re: Mission Statement

George Bonser wrote:

> Our main goals are to examine the people that use computers, determine
> what we can offer them in the way of a set of basic tools that allows them
> to make efficient use of their system and derive the most value from it,
> and to monitor the other groups in their development to ensure that we can
> implement their ideas and software.

I was under the impression this was seg's job?

> One of our functions is to act as the distribution traffic cop. We will
> test, test, and test agian.  We need to make mistakes on purpose and see
> what happens. We need to observe people that have little or no linux
> experiance during the installation process.  Does something in the
> language confuse them?

Sounds like a good idea.  Maybe have some newbies try to break it.

> Is the UI group trying to do something that will
> make the installation process HUGE and take a week to complete?

What do we have to do with the installation process?  What could we
possibly do to cause the installation to be this HUGE?

> We are the end of the funnel.  The final product passes through us before
> presentation to the world. WE are the group that can not skimp. What we
> produce is what comes in direct contact with the end user's senses. The
> look and feel of the installation.  We have to get it right.

You are the glue that binds the distro together into a single package,
physically.  Anything you think should be changed should go back through
the chain to the group actually in charge of that area of the distro for
discussion on the issues you think need changing.

Understand, I don't intend on working on the UI for months to have a
member in your group change it.  "What we (all groups) produce is what
comes in direct contact with the end user's senses."

Forgive me.  Maybe it's just unintentional wording, but this makes it
sound as if the other groups are under distro and the members are simply
elves that do the foot work so the distro group can dig in and mold it
into their idea of look and feel, disreguarding the work of the other
groups as they will.

I understand this was of the cuff, if I've missunderstood your meaning
let me know.

--
Out here,

Rick Jones