Re: The Core and the Kernel

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Kai Wetzel wrote:

> I can't say much about the core/kernel issue, but will we
> (SEUL) use one boot-disk with an SCSI/EIDE kernel or

Probably.  Vanilla SCSI support doesn't really take up much space (it's
like 5K or something if you leave out verbose errors), it is the modules
that take up space.  Redhat manages to fit them all on one disk, maybe we
can too.

> What about the kernel that will be installed on the HD
> (SCSI and/or EIDE) ?

Probably we could go either way for this.  Although there's little point
in bothering with two, when one is almost as good.  :)

> I would like to install Linux on a iomega ZIP medium and
> be able to plug in the parallel-port Zip-drive with a
> boot floppy and show people a vanilla GNU/Linux running

This wouldn't be hard at all.  I actually don't know why no one has done
it yet.  The only potential problem would be swap space, as I would hate
to have to try and swap to a ZIP... :)

> (Using VGA16 or SVGA server maybe)

VGA16 would have to be the only generic one.  But X servers aren't so big,
you could bring VGA16, SVGA, S3, and Mach64, that ought to cover most all
modern systems.