Re: The Distribution

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Gregory Bell wrote:

>  And have SEUL held hostage by debian,  This is pure bull pucky,
there is
> nothing in theinstallation of Linux that requires it to be Debian.  Has anyone
> bothered to look at what
> programs/scripts are used when installing a new Linux system on a computer.
> Let's see,
> off the top of my head: makedev (a script), mk2efs (for the basic file system),
> mkdir (shell command),
> geeze nothing that points to Debian or Redhat.  Hummm why the instance on a
> Debian install????

Because it already exists.  We can START by adopting it and improve it as
we go along and offer the improvements back to the community.  The debian
install is not much more than a menuing system using dialog that provides
a front end for such things as you speak of above. Where's your beef?

>   This is kinda silly, take a look at www.tigerdirect.com and get familiar
> withwhat kinds of systems are being sold.

And your point is?  That is the problem, there are too many different
kinds of systems being sold.  At the start, we put the system in some
configuration that is known to work on darned near every computer on the
planet.  The goal is to get a useable GUI running to "bootstrap" the rest
of the install. It can always be beefed up later but we probably do not
want out install program to be huge. A script that generates a rather
generic XF86Config file based on the answers to those questions are all we
need to get started.

> > Do you have a Multisync monitor?
>
>   Can you buy a new computer system today without a multisync monitor???

Who cares, there are millions of PC's out there without one. One of the
benefits of Linux is that it performs well with older hardware. I think we
should keep it that way.

>  Here you are wrong, right now the distrobution consists of nothing but a bunch
> ofsaved messages.  I have seen nothing (less twoducks help system) that would,
> by
> any definition of the word, be discribed as a program much less a distribution.

Lets see, we have been all of what ... three days since we decided to
really get serious?  DO you work for Microsoft? :)

THere is no cross-purpose, it was decided that it would be debian-based.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org