Re: FVWM2 change (fwd)

> George Bonser wrote:
> >
> > I have a minor change to the basic Debian fvwm2 ... I want folks to either
> > start using the fvwm2 hooks in /etc/X11/fvwm2 or start developing such
> > hooks in /etc/X11/wmaker
> >
> > In /etc/X11/fvwm2/init.hook add the following:
> >
> > + "I" Exec xsetroot -solid lightsteelblue &
> >
> > We need a configuration control mechanism ... cvs/sccs/clearcase?
>
> I think this is a bit premature since I have just began to examine the
> options for the GUI and no choice has been made at this point.
>
> What I really need at this point is some input on the aspects of a GUI
> that everyone thinks is important in making the decision.  Such as
> memory useage, disk useage, first impression, versatility,
> configureability, etc.  I would like to get some examples with each
> catagory as well.

What?
Memory Usage - as much as is available
disk usage - as little as possible
first impression - simple don't overwhelm anyone.
versitility - none on installation. This comes with learning about X.
configurability - enough to get X running. The user should see the same
desktop on every machine. That is what Windows gives.

> Keep in mind that, reguardless of your personal favorites, the targeted
> users are those that know little or nothing about the *nix GUI and are
> likely to frown on having to edit various config files, after reading
> the man pages, to get their GUI to their own taste.

I think a super install app would be needed when configuring X. The user
should be given few choices during installation and configuration.

Customization should be something done on a system already installed.

> Try to think like you've never even seen a *nix system before.

You are kidding right. Try thinking like this. Your boss knows you are
the computer guru so he comes to you and asks you to install the operating
system on the new computer. He gives you a tape reel, and a pamphlet
descibing the latest lversion of MVS. What would you like the install to
be like?

B.T.