dependencies

Hello!

I have some ideas concerning how should our packaging system manage
dependencies....or how to call them...more than 1 package using the
same file(s). I don't know how RedHat and Debian manages them. So...if
I'm reinventing the wheel here, sorry.

So...let's say we have a file, maybe in /var/log, that stores entryes
in the form:

<file> <usage-count>

When new package is being installed, packager first checks if some file
is allready on the system, and if it is, usage count is increased by one
for that particular file instead of file being copied to disk. If the file
does not exist, it copies it to disk and adds new entry, setting it's usage
count to 1.

When package is deinstalled, packager decreases usage count on files it
shoud "deinstall" by 1. Then, if some files have count equal to 0,
they are deleted.

ok....think on this.

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@jagor.srce.hr>