Re: Help topics / task help

> Writing some documentation on how to do simple tasks sounds like a good
> idea for SEUL. Although I don't see what the difference is between a "TASK
> file" and a "HOWTO" and a "miniHOWTO".

I think that the HOWTOs and miniHOWTOs are not written for the end
users. They are also too long. I figured that tasks could be much shorter,
and more in a step by step form to keep things as simple as possible.

> When you say "'help' could invoke tools", are do you literally mean that
> while the user is using the help browser to find out how to do something,
> the help browser itself would start other applications (rather than telling
> the user what to type/click to start this other application) ? That could
> be cool. Maybe even intelligent enough to look at your system and say
> things like "I see you already have the mouse set up, so let's skip to step
> 7".

Ya. That was the idea, though that second bit is taking it even further
than I though. It would definitely be worth it.

> Keeping a list of "Tasks People Want to Do with a Computer" sounds cool.
> I'll cut 'n paste the list onto my web page if no one else volunteers.

Great. I'll spend some time on the weekend (I will be away from home
and have no web connection) and come up with some more for your list.
I will mail it on Monday.

See ya.

Ken

ps. I like the personalized tasks (writing "Hello World", Doom.)