Re: Task-help & Wizards

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> On 27-May-98 Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> > Software \\should almost always be able to configure itself. Changes to
>> > environment can be made through files in /etc/profile.d/ , adding
>> > something to cron also just involves adding a file in the right place,
>> > adding to initialisation : just add files under /etc/rc.d. Also, most
>> > packaging methods allow post install scripts.

OK. Possibly.

>It's a bad idea. Why ? For a start, RPM can't interactively place files.
>So your packages aren't going to be in RPM format.

But a Wizard in this case could simply be a front end to RPM. I have not
seen all of the GUI front ends to RPM, but I must say that GLINT is
not particularily user friendly. Wizards would provide a common look
and feel that the user would be comfortable with. If they a tool that looks
and works similar for both SW & HW configuration, then they may be
more likely to be able to use the system. The RPM "Wizard" can be
used to simply notify the user when they try to install new software about
the packages they are missing. And a similar "Wizard" can be used for
uninstalling software, so that the user knows what they are affecting in the
removal of some packages.

> Can Debian's package tool do it ? if it can't , I guess you're stuck with
>unmanaged packages ( unless you care to write a new package manager... )

A wizard as described above could be used to provide a common front end
if the packaging tool is changed.

Ken