Re: PnP support?

> People were arguing back and forth earlier about whether our install
> system should use PnP detection or not. I don't know much about the
> current hardware detection/probing that we're planning; I do know that
> I want the seul installer to figure out as much as possible about the
> hardware of the system it's on.

I absolutely agree with you.  If the only users who can use Linux are the
ones that have in-depth knowledge of there devices SEUL is just about
pointless.

I do not wish to get into a technical debate with Linus Torvalds, I have
nothing but admiration for his work.  I do find his response reasonable
to the degree that I understand it.  I think he is saying that PnP does
not belong in the Linux kernel.  There are many things that I do not
understand.  Some of these we can sort out among ourselves.  We may wish
to come back to Linus with a few questions though. Here is what I do not
understand.

1. PnP does not belong in the kernel but is there a place for a kernel
mode that allows addressing in protected ranges early in the start up
process that gives us a chance to interegate hardware?

2. Does anyone know what mechanisms cause Linux to automatically detect
hardware cahnges?

3. Does anyone know what Alan is up to?