Installation script

I have been playing around with a script that will handle
installation/maintenance of programs.
At the moment the script only works with tarrball files (i.e. tar, tgz,
etc).
While creating this script I looked into RPM and DEB packages to attempt
to figure out
how the dependentcies were worked out and the nearest I could tell is
that they aren't.
Apparently what happens is the author of the program has to include the
depends when building
the RPM/DEB package.  If anyone has given this aspect any thought let me
know what your
findings were.
Anyway, here is THE BEGINNING script, it uses bash.  Give it a try and
let me know what
you think.

slim.tar