Re: SEUL: SEUL duplicating efforts?

Cyberdyn wrote:

> On 15-Feb-98 Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> - ->
> - ->   It's not accessible by Linux, because you can't call the BIOS from it.
>
> I don't understand why you can do something in Windows that you can't in
> Linux.  Seems to me that if windows can access the BIOS and lilo can access
> the MB BIOS it's just a matter of writing a program that accesses the BIOS
> the same way that Windows does.
>
> Does Windows have a secret key to manage this task that Linux doesn't?

Windows was written for the x86 and nothing else, It is entirely
dependent
on the x86 architecture for it's very survival.  It is thus "crippled".
Linux on the other hand can be compiled to run on anything ( from the
Beowulf dream machine with 20 CPUs to a Palm Pilot ).  In real life
what this means is that Windows goes through the BIOS for all device
access.
Linux on the other hand has it's own way of doing things that works on
just any machine ( with modifications ).  If Linux were to be modified
access devices the way Windows dose it would mean making Linux "become
Windows",  i.e... Less stability, less speed, less device independence.
If Linux gave GPFs I wouldn't use it.

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."