Re: I think It was Peter Luka's install abstraction proposal...

   Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 00:41:49 +0100
   From: Kai Wetzel <k.wetzel@welfen-netz.com>
   Sender: owner-seul-dev-ui@belegost.mit.edu

   [was on seul-dev-install]

   jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
   [...]
   > I have posted about half a dozen times about that problem (always a
   > pleasure noticing how well people read my postings :-).  It has been
   > solved in the LST/Caldera distribution: they have managed to intercept
   > error messages from WM started commands and post them in xmessage
   > windows.  So the soultion is simple: look how they did.
   [...]

   If I remember right, my old SuSE distribution had a message
   window, too.  This let me have an idea:  Because it's really
   not nice to have the (error) message window open all the time,
   I think it would be cool to have a little button in the button
   bar or task bar which has a little red LED which blinks each time
   an error message arrives so you can double click on the icon to
   raise the window.  How about that ?

   kai

I like more the LST solution: you don't have a permanent window like
in Suse eating screen space nor a red icon the user has to think about
like in your proposition.  LST starts a new xmessage window.

But the fundamental problem is than your utility is still to be
written.  Unless you manage to get it working in the remaining time
before SEUL development starts for real I don't think it is a good
idea to divert resources when there is already something that works:
the LST solution.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez