Re: Word processor - LyX

>If you start with an outline, some rules for writing (introduction
>sentence, etc.) and then actually write the thing you are doing top-
>down.  But I don't think that's necessarily a good way to write, and
>I think whole language is something of a reaction against that --
>i.e., get the child writing without rules or requirements, just an
>emphasis on experiences and expression.  Later on you go back
>and correct spelling, poorly formed sentences, etc., but all in the
>service of expression.  I think that's the right sort of priorities for
>writing.

I don't teach languages so I might be dangerously out of line, however, I
have seen a lot of writing that is quite poor.  It seems to come from not
thinking through what one wants to write about.  I call this the shotgun
approach to writing.  Write everything you know about a subject and
complete cover the target with holes.  In the end you have touched on a lot
of topics with out showing the relevance or logic between ideas.  In these
cases it is very easy to understand why students rarely arrive at clear
conclusions.  At least this seems to be true for research papers.  Maybe
writing stories is different.  But I have to say that I am now somewhat
skeptical of bottom-up writing.

I personally write an outline organize my ideas.  Then write the paper
without focusing on the outline structure, just the topics.  Then go back
and see how the paper developed and what kind of structure it took on.
Then I will often make a new outline (at least mentally).  And then I will
rework the paper.  However, I know that students don't like this much work.
 I suppose the order of the writing and the outlines could be switched, but
they both seem very valuable and without organizing at some point I one
ends up with lots of holes in a topic.  Which doesn't make for an easy to
read paper.

just my 2 cents.

Bill