[techentin.robert@mayo.edu: Re: [seul-edu] Long, long ago...]

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

From: "Techentin, Robert W." <techentin.robert@mayo.edu>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Long, long ago...
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:36:33 -0500

> Is there something like the old Basic that I could use in my
> math classroom to teach kids about basic algorithms?

> Last thing (promise) I've linked to our school's web site
> below and I am hoping to take over as web master in the
> coming weeks so as to put up something a little more
> functional. Speaking of that, I'm looking for a
> good Linux web design tool. Unfortunately I'm hooked on
> Macromedia's Dreamweaver and they haven't ported it to Linux
> (though I'm working on that).

I would suggest Tcl, which is pretty pervasive with Linux distros, and is a
natural fit with Tk for GUI development.

But since you're also interested in Web programming, you might want to look
at Python and Zope.  Although I haven't used either, they're both supposed
to be pretty good.  And Guido is the only one of the major scripting
language proponents (that I know of) that talks about "learnability" of
programming.

Bob
--
Bob Techentin                                  techentin.robert@mayo.edu
Mayo Foundation                                           (507) 284-2702

----- End forwarded message -----