Re: [seul-edu] Intro

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> bgfay wrote:
>
> Welcome, Brian!

Thank you.

> > Also, I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive machine for school to start a small
> > Linux group with some kids after school. Our school is all Mac and I am persona
> > non grata for having PC's and thinking that they matter next to the Macs.
> >

> You might consider putting Linux on a Mac for them.  This could have two advantages
> (if politically feasible)--it would show students that there are choices available
> to them no matter _what_ hardware they use, and it would frost the principal
> MacZealots at your school a bit.  I know the Mac people here at the university are
> mildly unhappy when I tell them that their Macs and the other people's Wintel PCs
> are all the same to me, just PCs, so long as they run the standard network
> protocols we mandate for them.

I figure that I had better get an installation under my belt for a little while
before I think about putting it on the Mac. Besides, I'll probably get my butt
kicked if I put it on a Mac without asking, and that's the only way I could do
it.

> I don't know of any "WYSIWYG" design tools for HTML on Linux.  Actually, I don't
> know of any for any platform, as HTML is by its very nature the antithesis of
> WYSIWYG if done properly.  Having said that, you might go to Freshmeat
> <http://freshmeat.net> and search on "HTML editors" or something similar and see
> what you find.  Something may appeal to you.

I think I just need to learn HTML a lot better. I'll keep hoping for
Dreamweaver, which is really a neat program merging html code and a gui
interface. Oh well, best to learn the underpinnings and stop mousing around.

Thanks.

--
Brian G. Fay on Linux
UCAP: http://www.ucap.org