Re: [seul-edu] Crosswords for Linux Backtracking recursive crossword generator

Hi Manuel,

I tried your crossword puzzles again.  Maybe an internal
option for a teacher to allow either: 1) the popup menu
of solutions as it currently is, or 2) a field entry
(limited to the length of the clue selected). This would
make the crosswords more difficult for more advanced
students.

Also, one confusing aspect of the crossword puzzle is
that some times there is no space between different
words.  For example on the first python the answer
sketch on the screen is seen as ysketch.  This isn't
quite the normal xword rules (at least those I grew up
with) and it makes the puzzle visually much harder.

One last thing, perhaps its my mathiness, but I find it
confusing that the coordinates are vertical, horizontal.
Math uses (x,y) -- as far as I am concerned it's a good
standard.  However, if you don't want to change this
perhaps write above the clues that it is (y,x).  But I
dislike having to rethink opposite for each clue, so I
would appreaciate (x,y).

I hope my comments are helpful.

Bill

Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:

> I'm the current maintainer of Crosswords For Linux
> http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/cruo/cruolinux.htm
>
> And I'm the process of releasing all the generators
and filters.
> I've finished the translation of the generator, which
may be
> interesting for many of you , it's only 400 lines code
and
> fast enough :
>
> http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/cruo/genaut.py
>
> It's runnable, it doesn't need threads, nor other
special libraries
> nor data, just download and : python genaut.py
>
> Comments/improvements are welcome!
>
> MGA
>

> Regards/Saludos
> Manolo
> www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html
/texpython.htm
> /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm
>
>   As the poet said, "Only God can make a tree" --
probably because it's so
> hard to figure out how to get the bark on. -- Woody
Allen

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>