Re: [seul-edu] [j-tamara@uniandes.edu.co: Experiencies with Linux at Bogota Colombia]

Wow! In my own country and i didn't knew about this?

Roger Dingledine escribió:

> ----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----
>
> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:52:50 -0500
> From: Igor Tamara <j-tamara@uniandes.edu.co>
> To: seul-edu@seul.org
> Subject: Experiencies with Linux at =?x-user-defined?Q?Bogot=E1?= Colombia
>
> Hi everyone, the first thing I have to say is to apologize for my
> english I hope the most of you understand what I say in this e-mail

Same here, don't worry :)

> I've been working with GNU/Linux from two years ago, I made my thesis of
>
> computer science using it, the main goal was to develop some Natural
> Language Processing, especifically in Spanish, you can visit
> http://asismat4.uniandes.edu.co/plena to see some of this work, if
> something is wrong, please let me know, sorry, right now is in Spanish,
> I'm planning to translate that to English.  It's of course under GPL.

Here being in spanish is a feature, not a bug :)

> At the moment I'm working at a school that uses only Linux for every
> process involving computers, all the students, the teachers, and even
> the secretary.

I'm making advances toward that goal here too.

> In the first grades we are using a software that was used in Tandy
> Color Computer 3, and running xmess we are able to do in Linux,
> if you want to know and download it, you can go to
> http://structio.sourceforge.net , where we have a plan that is called
> Structio on globalize all the processes in the school, learning,
> evaluation, administration.  Again in Spanish.

That's a very good idea.

Here we're depending on a windows program for many administrative tasks
(BTW, anybody has got Visual Foxpro 6.0 apps to run under Wine? i'm
commisioned this week to see if i can make that app run without windows
(good mission, don't you think? :)

> In the later grades we are using typist with lessons adapted for the
> school, also GPL, olders are using Logo, StarOffice to explore word
> processing and all those stuff of office that they will find in every
> work place, we use also dia to make charts, diagrams of UML, we also
> teach "C", some introduction to database with PostGreSQL, pgaccess,
> HTML, and finally Java.  We also are teaching how to use EMACS, the all
> powerful editor. We are also planning to translate the gimp tutorial.

Good. I'm trying to break the teachers' mental model of "MS Office is
the
Operative system, the workforce, and the only and one true reason for
ownind a computer, besides internet". You're lucky :)

> We have found some useful software to construct cognitive maps, you can
> visit http://cmap.coginst.uwf.edu to learn about it, and ask there for a
> Linux Version free for educational uses.  And if you want, I can give
> you a URL where you can download this.

Yes, i want :)

> Another useful tool is wiki-wiki, I don't remember the URL, but I think
> is a useful tool to share thoughts and other things, a good
> coolaboration thing to use and evaluate.

Wiki-wiki. I've heard of it, and sounds like a good idea. The URL is

> We are currently working on putting that info in the net, we are looking
>
> for hosting at this moment.  But when we finish the administrative
> issues we will be telling more things about the experiencies we have
> had.

I'll be waiting :)

> I hope my brother write soon to the list, he is the director of the
> project structio mailto:vtamara@bigfoot.com . Any comments, suggestions
> will be appreciated.  If there is someone else in the list located at
> Bogotá and wishing to colaborate or know more, see the things working,
> feel free to write me, so I can show you what we have.

I'm not in Bobota, but on Barranquilla (and i couldn't go to the
congress,
Linus will be there the friday at 8:00AM :(

If i can help, i will (i don't have a lot of free time, but....)

> I've been pretty excited about being member of this list, I hope we can
> do many things in favor of education. At the moment I'm doing my math
> thesis, usign modulef, also a GPL tool of finite elements if someone is
> interested.  Sorry if I don't do the translations to english quickly.
>
> I can tell you about the work made with a net of a few computers 586
> with 16 MB Ram with hds of different sizes, from 200MB to 1.6 GB. We are
> using NIS to authenticate and NFS to share programs  and home
> directories, with a P 200 MHZ.  Our budget is pretty tight but I think
> we are doing our best.

Hey, that's my network! you stole it! :)

Now seriously, that's about the same network we have here. How do you
manage
to use staroffice in those conditions? Here i had to push to upgrade the
old clunkers to 32 Mb (fresh new this week!!!), because with less than
that
it was unbearable, too slow (and i'm using a network install)

> Sorry if the mail is long, but I really wanted to share this with you.

Mine was long too, i can forgive you :)

> I hope Vladimir write to the list telling something about Structio and
> Manta.

I hope too.