Re: [seul-edu] RE: X-terminals

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:38:08AM -0500, Jay Drew wrote:
> > I have a lab full of old but good IBM PS/2 286 workstations that will soon
> > be gracing a local landfill. Has anyone tried using these as LINUX
> > terminals? Will they handle running as X-terminals? I hate to see working
> > computers thrown away.

Their is a stripped down version of Linux that can run on a 286.  It's
called ELKS, and the website is here http://www.elks.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

It also apears as if a small GUI is available for it (nano-windows),
though it does not look like it can be a host for an Xterminal...

You might be able to find an XFree86 port that runs ontop of ELKS, which
would permit the use of it as an Xterm.

If these things were not PS/2s, I would say, give me your address, I will
send you 5-10 or more (need to go thru my old parts bin) of 386
motherboards (a lot of them at DX-40s even).

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)