Re: [seul-edu] Seul-edu list for [global and local communication]

I once heard Maddog present an _amazing_ anecdote at "The Bazaar"
(conference in NYC Dec 1999).... (see below)...

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Gunnar Stefansson wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:19:42 +0000
> From: Gunnar Stefansson <gunnar@hafro.is>
> Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Seul-edu list for California, or international
> 	audience ?

> > > should be discussed on a Stockton-LUG list, not the SEUL list.
> >
> > Just keep watching, Jonathan.  There are folks from around the world on this
> > list, and the discussions reflect that.  In the meantime, do you have any
> > questions you want to raise for us to talk about?
>
> Actually, though I agree this is becoming a bit much, the idea of an
> installfest was new to me and I'm glad to have heard of it...now we
> just need to figure out how to implement this in a somewhat lower
> population density than the US ?-)

Gunnar, This tale is _much more_ exhilerating when Maddog presents it.

http://www.cactus.org/CACTUS/cn112000.html

"... In Fiji in 1997, internet access was achieved via 1200 bps modem.
They couldn't download Linux. Maddog gave them a CD ROM with a Linux
distribution on it. Except for the University of the South Pacific,
everyone in Fiji used VMS. Imagine professors in sarongs and bare feet.
Two years later, the DEC salesmen were told by the professors that they
weren't needed anymore. The professors are currently involved in a debate
about changing the curriculum. ..."

Would be nice to hear an update from our Fiji friends, or anyone who knows
how well that implementation has progressed.

Does anyone have an email addressthey can send me, for the Univ. of the
South Pacific?

 -Karl

NOVA G/LUG Reporter
  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html