Re: [seul-edu] MS targeting schools for software audits...

On Monday 22 April 2002 13:55, William Abernathy wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> I used to live in Portland. I remember a time when the "Church" of
> Scientology was being sued in federal court there, and Scientologists
> swarmed the place, thousands of them, so many that they were literally
> camping out on the rooftops of the Scientology buildings. I think our cult
> operating system should do something similar.
>
> This morning I called the CTO's office in Portland, and volunteered to head
> up there and help out. It's 650 miles from here on my motorbike, but if
> they want to install free software, I'll make the trip. There are 25,000
> machines in that district. How many fanatical volunteers can we put on the
> ground in Portland? How many of you are willing to go there for a week or
> two and help with the conversion? If we can mobilize 1000 volunteers from
> across the country, the job would be done in a couple of weeks!
>
> I think we can pull off a miracle here. I think one school district should
> draw a line in the sand and tell Microsoft to go pound it. And if their
> conversion is a success, it will live on as a testament to democratic
> power, and as a wonderful test-bed for further educational free software
> development.
>
> --William

Hi, William and others:  OK.  William, get on your motorbike and head up
there.  When you get there, get a quick fix on what the majority of computers
are.  If we can "standardize" a big group, we then make one of the same,
here, and burn an image.  Get the CD to you, and away you go.  Think hours,
rather than weeks!  The CTO can move the data to a data server set up for the
task.  Keep us posted.  There's thousands, and the solution requires hands
on, but also there's remote support across the nation, don't forget.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/