Re: [seul-edu] Re: Unified Front...

On Thursday 25 April 2002 08:39, Michael Williams wrote:
> > OK, I'm going to ask a simple question.  If we provided a ISO of the
> > top N  educational apps, HOW-TOs, documentation, war stories, got
> > permission to  distribute Star/Open Office, perhaps more, whatever
> > (what I referred to  once as a package), would that be enough to get a
> > district excited and  successful, or must we also include a Linux
> > distro?
>
> Simple answer..NO
>
> Were is the training and support options? Those are the biggest obstacles
> to overcome, desktop or server room. Mailing lists aren't enough. RTFM is
> not enough. Unless you tie to a standard distro and provide scripts and
> configurations that are pretty much canned your not going to win over the
> majority of school systems.
>
> michael
>
> --
> Michael Williams                   Instructional Technology
> Haywood County Schools          216 Charles St. Clyde, NC 28721
> http://www.k12linux.org                 (828) 627-8314

Hi, Michael and others:  Training and support is a community-based effort.
Start with the ability to provide remote support on any setup, and, together
with local "hands and eyes", company IT depts, LUG's, Perl Users' Groups, and
others should provide ample support and training options across the country.
It's the design, and if it's the right model, everyone will be stepping up.
That's the advantage of developing through something like seul-edu.  A
central one-stop shop for educational hardware and software models.  I hope
the talented individuals on this list keep going, as I think we're close to
something, here.
Thanks,,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV