[seul-edu] Re: [school-discuss] Edu-apps under wine

Jim Thomas wrote:

> Along the same lines as the equivalency list (i.e., OpenOffice ~=
> MSOffice, Mozilla ~= IE, etc), how about a list of MS-based edu apps
> that run well under wine?

This is a very good idea, Jim.  If you can make a start at it, SEUL/edu
will host a page for it.  I don't have access to most of this software so I
can't be of much help, but such a list would be very useful and would fit
nicely with our Educational Applications Index and Case Studies.

> Here's a list of some of the apps we run:
> Encarta
> World Book
> Britannica
> SimPark
> QuickVerse
>
> The encyclopedias are a MUST.  If I can't get them to run, I can't
> switch over.

Does anyone know what format World Book and Britannica store their files
in?  If it's something public, we could perhaps write readers for them.  We
could even donate them back to the respective publishers for inclusion on
future CDs.  I doubt that would work with Encarta, since it's from
Microsoft, though.